I think we can all relate when I say that there are certain days where you just do not know what to cook.
l was reminded of a dish my gran used to make. It has a texture similar to that of creamed spinach but in this case, pumpkin leaves are used. It's such a versatile and simple dish that's tasty and nutritious.
* Before starting, make sure you peel off the strings found on the stems of the pumpkin leaves *
[ ] One cup of water
[ ] Half a grated tomato
[ ] Half a chilli
[ ] A pinch of bicarbonate of sode
[ ] A pinch of salt to taste
[ ] 2 to 3 Tablespoons of peanut butter
1. Roughly chop the pumpkin leaves
2. Mix the water, bicarbonate of soda, tomatoes and salt in a saucepan. Allow to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes
3. Add the pumpkin leaves. It should take them about 10 minutes to fully cook.
4. Add the peanut butter to the pumpkin leaves and stir.
5. Allow to simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes then it will be ready to eat!
• You can enjoy this dish with a nice warm stew of your choice or grilled chicken
• You can serve this with a side of rice or pap.
• Pap is a staple food made of fine maize meal. It might be compared to what other calp "grits".
• Don't forget to wash the pumpkins leaves first because they usually have a lot of sand